Making A Claim

Victims on road accidents claiming against the Bureau should seek legal advice from a Solicitor in helping them to complete the MIB’s Application Form and obtain the full requisite documents to support their claims.

Download the Application Form and a List of Supporting Documents for submission

Applications must be made in writing to the Bureau within three (3) years from the date of the accident giving rise to the death or injury.

Note: Property Damages do not fall within the ambit of the MIB Agreement

Appeal to Public Trustee
The Applicant shall have a right of appeal to the Public Trustee against the Bureau’s decision. This must be filed within six (6) weeks from the date of the decision is made by the Bureau as required under the Agreement. The grounds of Appeal together with a checklist of documents must be submitted to MIB for onward transmission to the Public Trustee.
Frequently Ask Questions

The MIB provides compensation for bodily injury and death claims only, in accordance with the MIB Agreements with all the Motor Insurers and the Minister of Finance (now assigned to the Public Trustee).

  • To consider compensation for victims of hit and run accidents where the motor vehicle is untraced.
  • To meet unsatisfied Court Judgement against identified motorists who may have been uninsured.
You should only approach the MIB after you have made reasonable enquiries to determine if the motorist who has caused the accident is untraced or uninsured. Those enquiries will include but not necessarily be limited to contacting the uninsured motorist, the Traffic Police to confirm if accident has been reported, and doing a search on the vehicle’s insurer via Land Transport Authority’s website ( > Digital Services > Enquire Vehicle Insurance Details). Applications must be submitted in writing, within three years from the date of the accident.
  • For accidents caused by an untraced or uninsured motorist, the MIB will require you or your solicitors to complete an application form to explain what happened, give details of your injuries and an authority to obtain evidence from others such as your doctor and employer.
  • Where an uninsured motorist is involved, you may be required to obtain a judgment against the uninsured motorist.
You can call the MIB at 6220 8607 or visit its office at 180 Cecil Street, Bangkok Bank Building, #14-04, Singapore 069546.
The MIB will acknowledge receipt and conduct an investigation based on the information.
External parties will undertake the investigation work for the MIB. They may interview you and obtain a full statement about the accident and your injuries. The scene of the accident may be visited, a plan prepared and witnesses may be interviewed. Medical evidence may be obtained and if you have any loss of earnings, evidence may be taken from your employer.
This is difficult to predict as many different factors are involved. It may be necessary to wait until investigations are completed. MIB will make every effort to reach a decision on responsibility as quickly as possible.
The amount of compensation will be decided by the Bureau or by the Court. Your claim may be reduced or rejected, if the evidence shows that you were partly or completely at fault.
The MIB is funded by all motor insurers in Singapore. Motor insurers are required by the Government to pay a share of the MIB’s costs. Members pay their share by way of subscription based on a proportion of their Gross Motor Premium from the previous year’s Annual Report.
If you are dissatisfied, please write to the MIB through your solicitor stating the grounds of the appeal to Public Trustee. MIB will then forward your appeal to the Public Trustee, whose decision is final.